Interventions in one sec are small exercises that pop up before you can continue to the app, by default the Breathing Exercise.
The goal of each intervention is to help you reflect on your phone usage, and to decide if you really want to open a particular app (for example Instagram).
Interventions are designed to take away the instant gratification that social media apps purposefully put into their apps – one sec is the ultimative protection against their algorithms!
Open one sec’s settings and tap on Intervention at the very top.
On this screen, you can select as many interventions as you would like – even all of them.
one sec will randomly pick from selected interventions every time you open an app.
- Breathing exercise (default): Forces you to take a deep breath before opening the target app.
- Minimal breathing exercise: Less colorful version of the breathing exercise.
- Follow the dot: Follow the dot with your finger for 10 seconds to unlock the target app.
- Black screen: Your screen turns black for 10 seconds before allowing you to continue to the target app.
- Rotate phone: Rotate your phone three times around its axis to unlock the target app.
- Mirror: Look in your own eyes and tell yourself that you really want to open that app right now.
In order to customize intervention parameters, such as their duration, tap on Customize underneath selected interventions.
A sheet will pop up, allowing you to modify the intervention to suit your needs.
Depending on the intervention type you can modify:
- number of repetitions / rotations
- displayed phrases
- haptic feedback
- show usage stats in intervention (e.g. how many times you’ve attempted to opened the app)